Knowledge to improve cities [NI-SERV-2020-28]
Collaborative development of activities and projects that promote the creation and transfer of applied knowledge in the field urban intelligence
The NOVA Cidade – Urban Analytics Lab (promoted by the NOVA Information Management School) is a network of people and organizations that represents the actors and interests of stakeholders driving the development of the smart and sustainable city. The Lab collaboratively develops activities and projects that promote the creation and transfer of applied knowledge in the field urban intelligence.
OPPORTUNITY TO BE PROMOTED
Service Provision / Expertise
The NOVA IMS Urban Analytics Lab intends to contribute to the development of a more responsible and cohesive society by leveraging strategic partnerships with scientific and professional communities to realize its academic and practical ambitions. These connections not only promote synergies with national and international partners in a variety of areas but also ensure the continuous and sustainable collaboration on future interventions.
Cities are simultaneously a dense concentration of people as well as a source of wealth and innovation. These urban centres rely on their governance to ensure the planning and management of infrastructures and services that maintain the quality of life for those who live in, work in, or visit them. NOVA Cidade builds the smart and sustainable cities of the future based on the conviction that urban analytics produces knowledge capable of shifting paradigms in the planning and management of urban spaces.
NOVA Cidade Urban Analytics Lab aims to support the different needs within a territory to promote and implement urban intelligence and analytics in the following areas:
– Governance – Embrace the challenge of smart cities as a model capable of creating a favourable environment for more effective and efficient governance and services by public entities, based on concrete and current information;
– Participation – Promote more active citizen participation, based on the use of information and communication technologies, taking advantage of advanced analytical capabilities;
– Environment – Achieve sustainable urban development with economic, social, and environmental benefits for all, aiming at the urgent decarbonization and transition to the circular economy.
The activities developed by NOVA Cidade – Urban Analytics Lab focuses essentially on the following areas:
– Implementation of projects in the areas of Urban and Territorial Intelligence, with a special focus in analytics;
– Support for the definition of Open Data policies, including the identification of management models and the construction of open data platforms;
– Conducting urban analytics laboratories;
– Design and implementation of training actions in the context of urban intelligence;
– Organization and support for participation in events on a national and international scale.
The NOVA Cidade – Urban Analytics Lab streamlines and applies the best practices for adopting, using, and creating value for cities and citizens.
Through a multidisciplinary team and close partnerships with leading technological worldwide players and business associations, the NOVA Cidade – Urban Analytics Lab supports cities, municipalities associations, commercial organizations, and local perspectives in the areas of urban intelligence and data analysis.
Among others, some of the major advantages include the following:
– Partnerships with the major players of information technologies in the market as well as their user groups;
– Strong connection between the University and the community (e.g. ADNOVA IMS);
– Large resource-based community of practitioners working/teaching in NOVA IMS that give a very applicable and rich perspective to our teaching and projects;
– Ability to carry out consultancy, advisory, and skills development projects for cities and organizations that seek improvement within the areas of urban intelligence.
The products and services developed by NOVA Cidade – Urban Analytics Lab are based on Cooperation Protocols signed with Municipalities, Associations of Municipalities, Business Associations or other entities active in the areas of urban intelligence and data analysis, for the implementation of projects and initiatives co-financed by several financial instruments.
Among these is the following standout support: Support System for the Modernization and Capacity Building of Public Administration (SAMA2020) under the partnership agreement Portugal 2020 (2014-2020), of the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) of the European Union, from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Portugal Partnership 2030 (MPP2030), the Carnegie Mellon Portugal Program (CMU Portugal), the Incentive System for Research and Technological Development (SI I&DT) – Corporate R&D, under the Interface Program, the Permanent Forest Fund (FFP).
The services provided range from technical accessories to the construction of tailor-made solutions, including the training for and implementation of these.
NOVA Cidade – Urban Analytics Lab.