Green plastic antibodies developed using a green technology, supercritical carbon dioxide for a wide range of applications
Natural antibodies are able to recognize molecules with remarkable affinity and specificity. However, beyond of their high cost, they are very sensitive and can denature at harsh conditions.
Traditional approaches to mimic natural antibodies involves the use a lot of organic solvents and in the end of the process, the material produced need to be ground, destroying partially the affinity sites created within the material
Green plastic antibodies are produced using a green technology, supercritical carbon dioxide (scCO2), as a free-flowing polymer powder capable of keeping the same features of natural antibodies as affinity and selectivity with key advantage that can be used in a variety of extreme conditions without degradation in a wide range of processes, since sensors, enrichment, drug delivery, separation, purification and catalysis.
This platform technology provides a straightforward method to produce green and tailor-made plastic antibodies as high affinity/selectivity polymer particles using inexpensive and readily available resources.
The mechanism behind the synthetic particles is a lock-and-key mechanism. The material can be used and reused for several cycles without losing significant efficiency able to compete with established solutions.
STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT
TRL 5/6 – Prototype at lab, scale constructed, tested and validated.
- Use a green technology, supercritical carbon dioxide (scCO2), that is non-toxic, non-flammable, has a low energy critical point. scCO2, in the end of their use, can be recovered, stored and reused again, contributing for a circular economy;
- Materials obtained as a dry-powder ready-to-use, without the need of further post-treatments;
- Green plastic antibodies are used and reused for several cycles without losing significant efficiency.
- Chemical reactions/separations;
- Material science;
- Food and agriculture.
The team is seeking industrial support/collaboration, in all fields with particular emphasis in catalysis field to carry out relevant development.
- Seeking a co-development partner to support and implement the process in their industry;
- Immediate worldwide exclusive sector licenses available.
- Patent application submitted (PT115989)